Thursday, March 21, 2013

'We will not pick up toxic new bulbs': Councils say energy-saving lights are too dangerous for binmen | Mail Online

'We will not pick up toxic new bulbs': Councils say energy-saving lights are too dangerous for binmen | Mail Online:
Councils across the UK are refusing to pick up low-energy lightbulbs from homes as they contain toxic mercury, which gives off poisonous vapours.

But confused consumers are putting the new bulbs – classed as hazardous waste – in their dustbins when they burn out, potentially putting the safety of thousands of binmen at risk...